2 tablespoons coconut oil
2 medium onions, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 to 3 jalapeno peppers
1 medium zucchini, stem ends trimmed and cut into small dice
2 cups frozen corn kernels
5 – 6 large Portobello mushrooms, stemmed, wiped clean and cubed
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
4 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
1 can black beans
1 can red kidney beans
1 can chickpeas
1 can tomato sauce
1 cup vegetable stock
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
Cooked brown rice, accompaniment
Sour cream, garnish
Diced avocado, garnish
Chopped green onions, garnish
1. In a large, heavy pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions, bell peppers,
garlic, and jalapeno peppers, and cook, stirring, until soft, about 3 minutes.
2. Add the zucchini, corn, and mushrooms, and cook, stirring, until soft and the vegetables
give off their liquid, about 6 minutes.
3. Add the chili powder, cumin, and cayenne, and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30
seconds. Add the tomatoes and stir well.
4. Add the beans, tomato sauce, and vegetable stock, stir well, and bring to a boil.
5. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes.
6. Remove from the heat and stir in the cilantro. Adjust the seasoning, to taste.
7. To serve, place 1/4 cup of brown rice in the bottom of each bowl. Ladle the chili into the
bowls over the rice. Top each serving with a dollop of sour cream and/or spoonful of